Lifecycle of a package
R. Veen (Updated 17 Feb 2004)
- Get the files from URLs found in a descriptor. This includes external patches.
- Place the files in a local repository. Files should not overwrite
any previous version or files from other packages.
- Files can also come from a CVS or similar repository .
- Unpack the files corresponding to a package release into a working directory. This includes
patches (but we should be able to select which ones).
- Cope with non-standard procedures, such as java or binary packages (no build).
- Dependencies and the ./configure script.
- Different needs: cross-compiling, merge into system, make chroot system, /packages versus /.
- Preserve configuration information
- Some packages can be installed more than once (slotted).
- Virtual packages (webserver, mailserver ...).
- Package information database formats.
- Init and cron tasks